Monday, August 20, 2012

Happiness Chant

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu 

May all beings everywhere be happy and free and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute in some way to the happiness and to that freedom for all 

I have been plagued with health issues these past two years. Something that I definitely wasn't expecting in my mid-twenties. Each day has its own challenges and each day I have to remind myself to stay positive. It's so easy to get dragged into negative energy when the body isn't feeling good. The way I see it, I'm already not feeling good, why make it worse?

I'm not saying it's easy. It's a constant battle to get and maintain that positive energy. It is much easier to be angry and to lash out at others then to actually fight that battle. Not only do we lash out at others, the negative energy that we create drains us and the vicious cycle begins over again. I know. I've been there and I wish I could say that I always chose the road less traveled.

Each session has been teaching me the tools that I can use to fight this battle. Each class is teaching me how to counter my own and other's negative energy. Each breath I take is for my well being and each exhale is to share that happiness with the people around me. This teaching is cemented for me by the happiness chant.

At the end of an Ashtanga session, the teacher led the class in the happiness chant. I was amazed at the simple one lined chant could be so powerful. Things don't need to be elobrate to be beautiful. The most beautiful things in life are the simple ones.

In yoga, be content that you can stretch a little more then you could the class before. Be happy that you held a certain pose for as long as you did. In life, be happy that you were giving the chance to wake up in the morning. For the love that the ones close to your heart provide.

Taking the mind off of focusing on the negative and make it focus on every little accomplishment is the first step in the fight for positive enegery and happiness. It's the little things in life that matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment